Back to PAFA

I will be heading back to PAFA next week and it is time to start posting again. This summer was extremely busy. I worked, taught art to kids, and occasionally got the chance to create art.

Stained glass is a medium that I do not work in very often, but that I really enjoy. One of my favorite stained glass windows is a piece by John La Farge called "Spring" (1902). This piece is at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in the American section. I always go to see it when I am there.

John La Farge "Spring"

During the last half of the summer, I took a little break from painting and spent a considerable amount of time working on a new stained glass panel. This panel is the second stained glass design that I have made. It is about 36”X 24” and of a simple landscape. I will turn my new panel into a light box and place it in my private studio this fall. Since most private studios at PAFA do not have windows, I though it would help to brighten up the room.


My first stained glass panel was created for the dinning room of my house. It was a simple design with an emphasis on organic shapes. I found it a unique challenge designing for a specific place in my house and was happy with the end result.



4 comments:

  Cynthia

August 25, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Those are really beautiful, Lora. I remember you talking about them and it's nice to see the final products.

  Mike Manley

August 26, 2009 at 9:02 PM

WOW!

  Lora

August 29, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Thanks Mike and Cynthia. I had a lot of fun making the windows.

  Deb Strong Napple

September 27, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Lora:

This is the first that I have seen of your stained glass. They are beautiful! You have taken a hard, crisp medium and made it flow. Very nice.

Deb